Job Title: Nurse Unit Manager
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 3.2
Annual Salary: $114,377
Branch: Critical Care
Section: Critical Care Executive
Vacancy Type: Temporary Full-time
Duration: 12 months
Position Number: 19373
Closing Date: 31 May 2018
Contact Officer: Carly Silberberg (02) 6244 3300 email@example.com
ACT Health is a values-led Directorate. Our values guide our day-to-day actions, behaviours, decisions and communications to successfully deliver the best services to meet the needs of our community. They were developed by us, for us and are unique to our work.
The Division of Critical Care is a business unit of Canberra Hospital and Health Services (CHHS). The division provided clinical and academic oversight for:
Canberra Hospital Emergency Department:
Canberra Hospital's Emergency Department (ED) is the major tertiary referral and trauma centre for the ACT and surrounding region of NSW. Well over 75,000 patients are seen each year and the ED provides care for adults and children of all ages, and specialised assessment and treatment for all illnesses and injuries. A dynamic and highly skilled team aims for excellence in care.
Intensive Care Unit:
The Intensive Care Unit has unlimited accreditation with the College of Intensive Care Medicine of Australia and New Zealand for training in intensive care and has advanced trainees providing after hours cover. The unit satisfies College requirements for training in Neurosurgery, Cardiothoracic and Trauma. The unit has a strong commitment to teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate and research with excellent opportunities for collaborative research.
Overview of the work area and position
The Nursing Leadership team is responsible for the strategic and operational management of the Division of Critical Care nursing workforce, ensuring the effective and efficient operations of the Critical Care business units at Canberra Hospital.
This position reports directly to the Assistant Director of Nursing, Intensive Care unit and is responsible for the human resource (staff, rostering) and budgets (salaries and operational),
• Be registered or be eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
• Undergo a pre-employment Police check.
This is a temporary position available for a period of 12 months.
1. Provide a Managerial and clinical resource for a defined clinical service area.
2. Liaise with unit clinical leaders in planning and coordinating staffing resources by:
• Ensuring rosters and allocation of staff within area of responsibility will provide a safe and high level of patient care .
• Monitor and take responsibility for staffing levels.
• Participate in staff recruitment, orientation and staff development programs.
3. Responsible for the management of staff issues, ensuring consistency with relevant legislation, policies, practice standards, processes and industrial framework for nurses within clinical units.
4. Accountable for expenditure of resources within designated clinical areas including provision of accurate information on changes to staffing requirements based on ongoing assessment of need, as part of the nursing budget preparation.
5. In consultation with clinical unit leaders, make recommendations to meet the changing workload requirements in each clinical area. Focus on evaluation of the clinical needs and investigate and implement innovative models of service delivery.
6. Liaise with unit team leaders to achieve an agreed standard of high-level care resulting in improved patient outcomes and enhanced patient satisfaction
7. Ensure staff receive regular feedback and educational support to meet the required standard of service delivery focusing on unit goals, risk management and quality processes
8. Lead, promote and progress change processes as identified within ACT Health, The Canberra Hospital, nursing strategic and business plans. In conjunction with Clinical unit leaders develop local business plans, which incorporate and link to ACT Health plans and frameworks
9. Continually update on contemporary management and leadership developments including personal continuing professional development
10. Assist in the development and implementation of information systems and reporting which included regular review of staffing methodology/ acuity and research to best practices and their effects
11. Comply with and deliver against the required key performance indicators in respect to Work Health and Safety, Workplace Diversity, Industrial Democracy principles and practices and a commitment to ACT Health values
These are the key criteria for how you will be assessed in conjunction with your resume and experience.
Your statement of claims against the selection criteria should summarise how your skills and experiences would enable you to fulfil the responsibilities of the position. It is therefore in the interests of candidates to present their application in a way that demonstrates significant outcomes associated with each of the criteria, as well as the capabilities and behaviours that underpin them.
1. Able to demonstrate recent comprehensive management and/or clinical competency relevant to the position and to manage human, financial and material resource in consultation with area Clinical Nurse Consultants.
2. Knowledge and experience in leading and managing an effective team, including appropriate rostering practices which foster a “best “ work culture/ environment.
3. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and monitor human and material resources within a budgetary framework.
4. Demonstrated ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team and to both communicate effectively and foster a culture of open communication and feedback within a dynamic environment.
5. Demonstrated commitment to research, best practice, continuous quality improvement and continuous development of self and others.
6. Proven record of behaviour and attitudes consistent with professional standards and professional development of self and others.
7. Demonstrates a commitment to work, health and safety (WH&S) and the positive patient experience and displays behaviour consistent with ACT Health’s values of Care, Excellence, Collaboration and Integrity.
How to Apply
To complete your application, you must prepare responses to the Selection Criteria and upload this as part of your application along with a current curriculum vitae. For more information on how to apply go to http://www.health.act.gov.au/employment/how-apply.
For further information about the position and a copy of the performance expectations and jobs demands checklist please contact the Contact Officer above.