Job Title: Clinical Nurse Educator
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 3.1
Position Number: 31318
Annual Salary: $101,175-$105,339
Branch: Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol & Drug Services
Section: Adult Mental Health Unit
Vacancy Type: Permanent Part-Time
Closing Date: 1 March 2018
Contact Officer: Kelly Chase (02) 6174 5452 email@example.com
ACT Health is a values-led Directorate. Our values guide our day-to-day actions, behaviours, decisions and communications to successfully deliver the best services to meet the needs of our community. They were developed by us, for us and are unique to our work.
Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol and Drug Services provides health services directly and through partnerships with community organisations. The services provided range from prevention and treatment to recovery and maintenance and harm minimisation. Consumer and carer participation is encouraged in all aspects of service planning and delivery. The Division works in partnership with consumers, carers and a range of government and non-government service providers to ensure the best possible outcomes for clients.
The Division delivers services at a number of locations, including hospital inpatient and outpatient settings, community health centres, detention centres, other community settings including peoples home. These services include:
• ACT Wide Mental Health Services
• Adult Mental Health Services
• Alcohol and Drug Services
• Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), and
• Justice Health Services
Overview of the work area and position
Adult Acute Mental Health Services incorporates the Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU), the Mental Health Short Stay Unit (MHSSU) and the Consultation Liaison (CL) Team across the Emergency Department and The Canberra Hospital (TCH).
AMHU is a 37 bed inpatient unit for people experiencing moderate to severe mental illness. AMHU is a contemporary evidence-based service providing high quality mental health care, guided by the principles of Recovery. The service aims to provide collaborative care involving the consumer, their carers and other key services. MHSSU is a low dependency 6 bed inpatient unit in the ED for people requiring extended mental health assessment and or treatment initiation.
At this level the Clinical Nurse Educator (CNE) is responsible for clinical teaching and the development of nursing practice within a therapeutic adult mental health environment. This position reports to the Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU), Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON) and will liaise with the AAMHS Clinical Nurse Consultants to deliver and lead education, both internal and external to the Division, in support of ongoing clinical education, preceptorship, mandatory skills assessment, and competency assessment processes for nurses working in the AAMHS at Canberra Hospital. You will be required to undertake professional development and supervision participate in quality initiatives and contribute to the multidisciplinary team processes.
Be registered or be eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). Holds or is working towards post graduate qualifications, and/or has demonstrated advanced knowledge, skills and experience, in the area of adult education and clinical practice development. Current driver’s licence is desirable.
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to undergo a pre-employment Police check and comply with ACT Health Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy.
This is a part-time position at 32 hours per week and the full-time salary noted above will be paid pro rata. Selection may be based on application and referee report only.
1. Facilitate clinical teaching of nurses within the workplace utilising adult learning principles and following practice standards and policies
2. Facilitate reflective practice for nurses and provide direct clinical advice and support to nursing staff as required.
3. Participate in risk management, quality improvement, nursing practice review, clinical audit and clinical research activities.
4. Work collaboratively with colleagues and leaders and maintain in depth knowledge of legislation affecting nursing practice within ACT Health and the AAMHS.
5. Provide active input into the development and revision of clinical policy and practice manuals.
6. Cultivate and maintain professional relationships with peak bodies in relation to clinical care delivery within a therapeutic environment, to facilitate the development and revision of clinically specific Self Directed Learning packages, and simulated learning scenarios.
7. Provide clinical education, preceptorship, clinical supervision, mandatory skills assessment, and competency assessment processes for nurses working in the AAMH.
8. Undertaking other duties appropriate to this level of classification which contribute to the operation of the section. OR Undertaking other duties as directed, within the approved scope of clinical practice.
These are the key criteria for how you will be assessed in conjunction with your resume and experience.
Your statement of claims against the selection criteria should summarise how your skills and experiences would enable you to fulfil the responsibilities of the position. It is therefore in the interests of candidates to present their application in a way that demonstrates significant outcomes associated with each of the criteria, as well as the capabilities and behaviours that underpin them.
1. Demonstrated clinical competence and application of recovery principles in an Acute Adult Mental Health setting.
2. Demonstrated commitment to personal ongoing learning and development
3. Application of adult learning principles to assist individual nurses in the assessment of their own learning needs and the assimilation and application of knowledge and skills and the evaluation of nursing outcomes.
4. Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills and the application of counselling and negotiation skills with both individuals and small groups.
5. Ability to demonstrate and apply specialty nursing practice knowledge in the clinical setting and to undertake clinical research and nursing quality improvement initiatives.
6. Demonstrated skills required to assess the clinical competence of nurses in the clinical practice setting.
7. Demonstrated commitment to preceptorship, clinical supervision and practice development and an ability to demonstrate effective clinical leadership in the workplace.
8. Demonstrated ability to consistently display commitment to, compliance with and leadership in high quality Customer Service, Equity and Diversity, Occupational Health and Safety and Industrial Democracy principles and practices and relevant legislation to these areas, and an understanding of and commitment to ACT Health values.
How To Apply
To complete your application, you must prepare responses to the Selection Criteria and upload this as part of your application along with a current curriculum vitae. For more information on how to apply go to http://www.health.act.gov.au/employment/how-apply.
For further information about the position and a copy of the performance expectations and jobs demands checklist, please contact the Contact Officer above.