Purpose of Position
A respiratory and sleep physician is sought to provide respiratory, ventilatory and sleep medical care to the patients of the Prince of Wales Hospital (POWH), and to participate in the general respiratory on-call roster of the POWH. The Respiratory ward has an average inpatient load of 26 patients (seasonal variation 20-40) and a high dependency unit in which non-invasive positive pressure ventilation is routinely used. The Department of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine offers a full range of pulmonary function tests and has a 5-bed Sleep Laboratory which is equipped to perform the full range of sleep investigations. A bronchoscopy suite is co-located with over 300 procedures per annum, including 50-60 EBUS cases. The Department runs its own outpatient service with 3 consultation rooms and 6 weekly clinics. There are patient education programs for asthma and smoking cessation and an integrated pulmonary rehabilitation program. In addition to medical grand rounds and teaching activities there are up to 3 in-house educational sessions per week including clinical, radiological, sleep, pathology and other special topics. Multidisciplinary interstitial lung disease and lung cancer clinics are held regularly.
The position will be located at entirely at the POWH, which is one of the main teaching hospitals of the University of New South Wales and is located adjacent to the Medical School.
1. Registration or eligible for registration with Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA);
2. Fellowship of the RACP and/or equivalent specialist recognition as provided for by the Health Insurance Act 1997 and the NSW Staff Specialists (State) Award, and demonstrated subspecialty training in respiratory and sleep medicine and evidence of continuing medical education and self-monitoring/audit practices consistent with the scope of practice requirements of the position;
3. Proven capacity and/or experience in the provision of effective high quality respiratory and sleep medical services, demonstrated through successful clinical practice in an environment appropriate to the requirements of the position including evidence of participation in quality improvement activities relevant to the specialty; demonstrate the skills and attitudes pertinent to a senior Medical Practitioner including modelling a high standard of professional behaviour to junior medical staff;
4. Demonstrated commitment to teaching with experience in teaching both undergraduate and post graduate students and other staff of the hospital;
5. Demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with medical and other health service colleagues as part of a multi-disciplinary health care team and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, colleagues, and staff and to work as an effective member of the clinical team across multiple sites;
6. Demonstrated experience in and commitment to research relevant to the role and needs of the Department;
7. Demonstrated experience in healthcare management and administration;
8. Demonstrated experience in integrated and collaborative healthcare; a proven ability to contribute to the cultural fabric of the hospital is desirable.