Job Title: Registered Nurse
Classification: Registered Nurse Level 1
Annual Salary: $63,548 - $84,888
Branch: Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services
Section: Adult Mental Health Services
Vacancy Type: Permanent and temporary
Position Number: 17463, several
Closing Date: 22 February 2018
Contact Officer: Kelly Chase (02) 6174 5452 firstname.lastname@example.org
ACT Health is a values-led Directorate. Our values guide our day to day actions, behaviours, decisions and communications to successfully deliver the best services to meet the needs of our community. They were developed by us, for us and are unique to our work.
Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services (MHJHADS) provide health services directly and through partnerships with community organisations. The services provided range from prevention and treatment to recovery, maintenance of wellbeing and harm minimisation. The participation of the people who use of service, their families and carers is encouraged in all aspects of service planning and delivery. The Division works in partnership with a range of government and non-government service providers to ensure the best possible outcomes for people.
The Division delivers services at a number of locations, including hospital inpatient and outpatient settings, community health centres, detention centres, other community settings including peoples home. These services include:
• ACT Wide Mental Health Services
• Adult Acute Mental Health Services
• Adult Community Mental Health Services
• Alcohol and Drug Services
• Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), and
• Justice Health Services
Overview of the Work Area and Position
Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services (MHJHADS) is a contemporary evidence based service providing high quality mental health care that is guided by principles of Recovery.
There are permanent and temporary positions within the Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU) and Mental Health Short Stay Unit (MHSSU). AMHU is a 37 bed acute inpatient unit for people with acute mental health issues. The service aims to provide collaborative care involving the person, their carers and other key services. MHSSU is a sub-acute 6 bed inpatient unit in the ED for people requiring extended mental health assessment and or treatment initiation.
At this level it is expected that you will provide, under limited supervision, high quality clinical nursing skills and care to achieve sound recovery outcomes. It is also an expectation that you will contribute to the multidisciplinary team, and support the senior nurses, Clinical Nurse Consultant and Assistant Director of Nursing in change processes. You will be required to undertake professional development, supervision, participate in quality initiatives and contribute to the multidisciplinary team processes.
• Approved tertiary or equivalent qualifications in nursing.
• Current un-conditional registration as a Registered Nurse with Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
• Post Graduate Qualification in Mental Health Nursing
• Current driver’s licence
Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
• Undergo a pre-employment Police check
• Comply with ACT Health Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy, (OMU).
There are a number of permanent and temporary positions available. These are full-time positions working a rotating shift roster, including night shifts. Duties
1. Provide appropriate clinical interventions and clinical assessment to people with complex mental health needs consistent with the National Mental Health Standards and Mental Health Nursing Standards.
2. Liaise with the multidisciplinary treating team, community teams, General Practitioners, carers and other agencies with regard to the person’s care.
3. Actively apply recovery based intervention principles.
4. Undertake as an active team member the monitoring and evaluation of the quality of care provided and ensure support and orientation is provided to student nurses and student enrolled nurses.
5. Participate in clinical governance systems, quality improvement initiatives, clinical supervision, mandatory training, continuing professional development and performance management.
6. Work within the requirements of the Mental Health Act 2015, other relevant legislation and ACT Health policies and procedures.
7. Undertaking other duties appropriate to this level of classification which contribute to the operation of the section. OR Undertaking other duties as directed, within the approved scope of clinical practice. Selection Criteria
Below are the key criteria for assessing your suitability for this position, along with your resume and experience.
Your statement of claims against the selection criteria should summarise how your skills and experiences would enable you to fulfil the responsibilities of the position. It is therefore in the interests of candidates to present their application in a way that demonstrates, through examples, the skills and experience associated with each of the criteria, as well as evidence of the capabilities and behaviours that underpin them.
1. Demonstrated capacity to provide recovery centred care and the ability to provide clinical care for people with complex mental health needs.
2. Understanding of the National Standards for Mental Health Services, national mental health priorities and contemporary models for mental health service delivery.
3. Ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team and to effectively liaise and consult with carers, families and relevant community and government agencies to ensure appropriate service delivery.
4. Ability to participate in quality improvement activities, training and clinical supervision.
5. Evidence of continuing professional development.
6. Demonstrates a commitment to work, health and safety (WH&S) and the positive patient experience and displays behaviour consistent with ACT Health’s values of Care, Excellence, Collaboration and Integrity. How To Apply
To complete your application, you must prepare responses to the Selection Criteria and upload this as part of your application along with a current curriculum vitae. For more information on how to apply go to http://www.health.act.gov.au/employment/how-apply
For further information about the position and a copy of the performance expectations and jobs demands checklist, please contact the Contact Officer above.