ACT Health is a values-led Directorate. Our values guide our day to day actions, behaviours, decisions and communications to successfully deliver the best services to meet the needs of our community. They were developed by us, for us and are unique to our work. Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services (MHJHADS) provide health services directly and through partnerships with community organisations. The services provided range from prevention and treatment to recovery, maintenance of wellbeing and harm minimisation. The participation of the people who use of service, their families and carers is encouraged in all aspects of service planning and delivery. The Division works in partnership with a range of government and non-government service providers to ensure the best possible outcomes for clients.
The Division delivers services at a number of locations, including hospital inpatient and outpatient settings, community health centres, detention centres, other community settings including peoples home. These services include:
• ACT Wide Mental Health Services
• Adult Acute Mental Health Services
• Adult Community Mental Health Services
• Alcohol and Drug Services
• Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), and
• Justice Health Services Overview of the work area and position
Mental Health, Justice Health, Alcohol and Drug Services (MHJHADS) is a contemporary evidence based service providing high quality mental health care that is guided by principles of Recovery. There are permanent and temporary positions within the Adult Mental Health Unit (AMHU). AMHU is a 35 bed acute inpatient unit for people with acute mental health issues. The service aims to provide collaborative care involving the consumer, their carers and other key services. MHSSU is a sub-acute six bed inpatient unit in the ED for people requiring extended mental health assessment and or treatment initiation. At this level it is expected that you will provide, under limited supervision, high quality clinical nursing, skills and care to achieve sound outcomes for consumers. It is also an expectation that you will contribute your expertise to the multidisciplinary team, provide supervision to staff at the RN1 level and support the Unit Manager and Clinical Nurse Consultant in change processes. You will be required to undertake professional development, supervision, participate in quality initiatives and contribute to the multidisciplinary team processes. Eligibility/Other Requirements Mandatory:
• Approved tertiary/or equivalent qualifications in nursing.
• Be registered or be eligible for registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
• Minimum of 12 months recent nursing experience in a mental health facility. Desirable:
• Post Graduate qualification in Mental Health Nursing.
• Current driver’s licence.Prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
• Undergo a pre-employment Police check.
• Comply with ACT Health Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination policy. Note
There are several permanent positions for filling.Duties
1. Provide high level consumer centered care to consumers with complex mental health needs consistent with the National Mental Health Standards and Mental Health Nursing Standards.
2. Provide clinical nursing expertise and apply specific skills in support of the multidisciplinary team process and liaise with multidisciplinary community teams, General Practitioners, carers and other agencies with regard to the consumers care.
3. Actively apply recovery based intervention principles.
4. Undertake as an active team member the monitoring and evaluation of the quality of care provided to consumers and ensure support and supervision are provided to student nurses and student enrolled nurses.
5. Undertake clinical supervision and professional development activities and be participate in clinical governance systems and processes through quality activities, care evaluation, outcomes measurement and membership of committees and working parties.
6. Work within the requirements of the Mental Health Act 2015
and other relevant legislation.
7. Provider clinical nursing leadership and be responsible for staff when in charge of a shift and act as delegate for the Clinical Nurse Consultant as required.
8. Undertaking other duties appropriate to this level of classification which contribute to the operation of the section OR Undertaking other duties as directed, within the approved scope of clinical practice. Selection Criteria
Below are the key criteria for assessing your suitability for this position, along with your resume and experience.
Your statement of claims against the selection criteria should summarise how your skills and experiences would enable you to fulfil the responsibilities of the position. It is therefore in the interests of candidates to present their application in a way that demonstrates, through examples, the skills and experience associated with each of the criteria, as well as evidence of the capabilities and behaviours that underpin them.
1. Proven ability to provide high level clinical nursing skills in recovery centred care and the demonstrated ability to provide assessment and treatment for people with complex mental health needs.
2. Understanding of the National Standards for Mental Health Services, national mental health priorities and contemporary models for mental health service delivery.
3. Proven ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team and to effectively liaise and consult with carers, families and relevant community and government agencies to ensure appropriate service delivery.
4. Ability to develop, implement and evaluate innovative mental health care initiatives and an ability to participate in clinical research, quality improvement activities, training, education of less experienced staff and clinical supervision.
5. Evidence of continuing professional development consistent with experience.
6. Knowledge of the mental health services sector and consumer referral and discharge pathways within the ACT, as well as a sound working knowledge of the current mental health and associated legislation.
8. Demonstrates a commitment to work, health and safety (WH&S) and the positive patient experience and displays behaviour consistent with ACT Health’s values of Care, Excellence, Collaboration and Integrity. How to Apply
To complete your application, you must prepare responses to the Selection Criteria and upload this as part of your application along with a current curriculum vitae. For more information on how to apply go to http://www.health.act.gov.au/employment/how-apply