Purpose of Position
A dental assistant Grade 1 is a person appointed as such who as successfully completed a qualification in a relevant field recognised by the Dental Assistant Education Council of Australia or up to the level of Certificate III issued by a tertiary education institution or qualifications deemed by the Department to be equivalent.
Unqualified but experienced Dental Assistants can be employed as Dental Assistants Grade 1. Such employees commence on and remain on Level 1 Year 1 until they obtain formal qualifications through study or recognition of prior learning. The employee is responsible for obtaining formal qualifications in their own time and at their own expense.
In some circumstances at some clinics a supervision allowance may be applicable.
1. experience in dental assisting and qualification in a field recognised by the Dental Assistant Education Council of Australia or equivalent, or experience and preparedness to undertake Certificate III in Dental Assisting
2. Demonstrated experience and understanding of current infection control procedures
3. Demonstrated computer skills
4. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills
5. Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of the team
6. Evidence of a current Class C drivers licence
7. Ability and willingness to travel for work purposes. This may involve driving long distances with the Health Service and overnight stays at health service expense